FIND OUT WHAT YOU WILL BE ASKED TO APPROVE ON THE BALLOT
School Mill Levy Ballot Question:
“Shall the Albuquerque Public School District continue to impose a property tax of $3.838 for residential property and $4.344 for non-residential property per each $1,000.00 of net taxable value of property allocated to the Albuquerque Public School District for the property tax years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 for the purpose of (1) erecting, remodeling, making additions to, providing equipment for or furnishing public school buildings; (2) payments made pursuant to a financing agreement for the leasing of a building or other real property with an option to purchase for a price that is reduced according to payments made; (3) purchasing or improving public school grounds; (4) administering the projects undertaken pursuant to sections 1 and 3 above, including expenditures for facility maintenance software, project management software, project oversight and district personnel specifically related to administration of projects funded by the Public School Buildings Act provided that expenditures pursuant to this section shall not exceed five percent of the total project cost?”
School Bond Ballot Question:
“Shall the Albuquerque Public School District issue $200,000,000 of general obligation bonds to erect, remodel, make additions to and furnish school buildings within the district, to purchase or improve school grounds, to purchase computer software and hardware for student use in public schools, and to provide matching funds for capital outlay projects funded pursuant to the Public School Capital Outlay Act?”
Quick Election Facts:
WHEN IS THE ELECTION?
- Tuesday, February 2, 2016
WHAT IS BEING VOTED ON?
- School Mill Levy ($375 Million)
- School Bond ($200 Million)
- Election total value at $575 million
- Will Not Increase Taxes
WHY DO WE NEED THIS FUNDING?
- To renovate, restore & renew our schools
- To provide new educational and instructional technology
- To enhance and maintain life, health & safety and personal security for teachers and students
- To provide capital funding to all local and state chartered Albuquerque Charter schools
- To improve transportation facilities for all students
WHO CAN VOTE?
- All registered voters within the Albuquerque Public Schools District boundaries, including Bernalillo County and The Village of Corrales in Sandoval County.
CURRENT AND UPCOMING ELECTION INFORMATION
Albuquerque Public Schools / Central New Mexico Community College Special Election
A special election for Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) and Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016.
The APS school districts consume the entire county of Bernalillo, as well as the Village of Corrales. The CNM districts span across both Bernalillo and Sandoval (City of Rio Rancho) counties.
Voting Convenience Centers will be utilized for this election. There will be a total of 30 Election Day sites and five early voting sites. If you are an eligible voter for this election, regardless of which county (Bernalillo/ Sandoval) in which you are registered, you will be able to cast a ballot at any of the Voting Convenience Centers.
Important Special Election Dates:
- Jan. 5: Last day to register to vote.
- Jan. 5: Absentee voting begins. Absentee ballots will continue to be mailed through Friday, Jan. 29 for individuals who have filled out a properly completed application.
- Jan. 8: Absentee in person only at the Voting Machine Warehouse. This will take place daily Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Friday, Jan. 29.
- Jan. 13: Early Voting begins. This will take place daily Tuesday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. until Saturday, Jan. 30.
Where to Vote:
*(all eligible voters can vote at any of the voting centers regardless of home precinct)
Click here for a location map of voting centers for both Election Day and Early Voting:
For more information on your voter registration status and where to vote, please visit http://www.bernco.gov/clerk/current-and-upcoming-election-information.aspx